What we know about each states’ travel restrictions in response to Northern Beaches Avalon cluster


The growing cluster of cases in Sydney’s Northern Beaches has prompted States and Territories to impose new restrictions on those wishing to travel.

As of Sunday morning, the Avalon cluster had grown to 68 cases — prompting a raft of further restrictions to be imposed across Sydney.

Other states have also reacted to the increasing case numbers by imposing restrictions on those looking to travel interstate.

Here’s a breakdown of where you can and cannot travel if you’re from Sydney as of 3:00pm AEDT on Sunday.

Victoria

As of 11:59pm on Sunday night, all of Greater Sydney and the Central Coast will be classed as a “red zone” under Victoria’s traffic-light permit system that was introduced on Friday night.

That means anyone entering Victoria who is from or visited that “red zone” area will be forced to complete 14 days hotel quarantine.

Daniel Andrews wears dark-framed glasses, a blue jacket and a light blue shirt.
Daniel Andrews closed Victoria’s doors to those from Greater Sydney.(AAP: James Ross)

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said Victorian residents who have been in Greater Sydney or the Central Coast would be able to self-quarantine at home, but only if they came back before midnight on Monday under a “special arrangement”.

Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said that classifying all of Greater Sydney as a “red zone” was in expectation of more cases being discovered across the city in the coming days.

Everywhere outside of Sydney and the Central Coast is still a “green zone”, meaning you will be allowed to enter Victoria, although you will need a permit to do so.

Mr Andrews asked everyone travelling into Victoria from New South Wales to watch for symptoms.

If you have to travel to Sydney from Victoria, you can apply for an exemption permit.

Queensland

long queues at Sydney Airport with people waiting for baggage
People flocked to leave Sydney Airport on December 18, but many states have now placed restrictions on those arriving from Greater Sydney.(ABC News: Tim Swanston)

From 1:00am Monday morning, Greater Sydney will be considered a hotspot by the Queensland Government.

That means people who have been in Greater Sydney are banned from entering the state unless they have an exemption.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said: “If you are a New South Wales resident in Greater Sydney, please do not come to Queensland”.

Any Queenslanders currently in Greater Sydney will have until 1:00am on Tuesday to return to the state.

Upon arrival, those returning Queenslanders will have to have a test and quarantine for 14 days at home.

Anyone travelling to Queensland will also be required to complete a border pass declaration form.

Anyone who came to Queensland from Greater Sydney in the past week has been told to get a test.

ACT

On Sunday evening, the ACT Government said anyone coming from Sydney from midnight onwards would be asked to self-declare and quarantine.

The Government said anyone from Sydney who is not an ACT resident should not travel to the Territory.

That expanded on a previous direction that required anyone from the Northern Beaches to not travel to the ACT, bringing the Territory in line with other jurisdictions around the country.

Returning Canberrans will be allowed to enter the Territory, but will have to quarantine at home.

The Government has previously said it would avoid border closures at all costs, given the ACT’s position within NSW.

But Health Minister Rachel Stephen-Smith said strategies were in place and ready to be implemented if the situation across the border worsened.

South Australia

From midnight on Sunday, all arrivals into South Australia from the Greater Sydney area will be forced to quarantine for 14 days.

Those travellers will also be required to have a coronavirus test three times — on arrival, on day five and on day 12.

Anyone who has been in the Northern Beaches area will be barred from South Australia entirely.

People arriving from regional New South Wales will be required to have a test but don’t need to isolate.

“My message to South Australians is with this increasing cluster in New South Wales … you must be very mindful about getting tested,” Chief Public Health Officer Professor Nicola Spurrier said.

Authorities announced on Saturday they would reintroduce South Australia’s cross-border application process for anyone travelling from interstate.

The application process will include a question on whether anyone has been in Sydney’s Northern Beaches since December 11.

Anyone already in SA who has visited the Avalon RSL or Avalon Bowling Club since December 11 must immediately go into hotel quarantine, while anyone planning to travel to SA who had visited those two locations since that date will be barred from entering the state.

Tasmania

Tasmania declared the Greater Sydney area medium-risk from midnight Saturday.

That means anyone who travels from Sydney will have to quarantine for 14 days, either at home or at their own cost in a Government facility.

Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein stands behind a lectern with microphones attached at a press conference.
Premier Peter Gutwein said he made “no apology for doing the right thing”.(ABC News: Luke Bowden)

The Northern Beaches area is already declared high-risk and travellers from there are not permitted to enter unless approved as an essential traveller or if they’re a returning Tasmanian resident.

If you are a returning Tasmanian resident, you’ll have to prove it and apply through the G2G app.

You will be quarantined on arrival and required to take a COVID-19 test within 48 hours.

The remainder of NSW will remain low-risk, and travellers will be allowed to enter without quarantining.

The Tasmanian Government has already told anyone who visited the broader Northern Beaches area since December 11 to immediately self-isolate if they are already in Tasmania.

Northern Territory

The Northern Territory declared Greater Sydney — including the Blue Mountains, Illawarra and the Central Coast — a coronavirus hotspot on Sunday evening.

The declaration means anybody arriving from those locations will have to undertake a fortnight of supervised quarantine at a cost of $2,500.

Acting Chief Minister Nicole Manison said the ruling would be “really hard for people to hear today”.

Additionally, anyone who has entered the NT from the Northern Beaches area in the past seven days is required to be tested for COVID-19 and self-isolate while waiting for the results.

Western Australia

A group of passengers with suitcases and masks stand near a border official.
WA’s hard border only softened in November.(ABC News: Herlyn Kaur)

On Saturday night, Western Australia reinstated a hard border with New South Wales, meaning travel into the state from NSW will no longer be permitted.

The hard border went into effect at midnight on Saturday.

WA Premier Mark McGowan said it was not known how long the border would stay up, but he would be relying on health advice for any future changes.

Mr McGowan said very few people would be exempted from the hard border, but people may be granted entry on compassionate grounds, including people who had travelled to NSW recently and needed to come home.

WA had already implemented mandatory 14-day isolation for anyone who entered from NSW from Friday, December 17.

People who arrived between December 11 and December 17 have been told to get a COVID-19 test immediately and self-isolate until they return a negative result.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>