Denver police look for suspect in shooting near Habibi’s Hookah Café


DENVER (KDVR) — The Denver Police Department needs help identifying a suspect in an aggravated assault and shooting.

The incident occurred near the Habibi’s Hookah Café, at East Colorado Avenue and South Broadway Street, on Oct. 10 about 3 a.m.

The suspect is described as a white man with a thin build and short blonde hair. He was wearing a black t-shirt, dark jeans, sunglasses and a red bandana at the time of the incident.

Metro Denver Crime Stoppers is offering a reward of up to $2,000.

Anyone with information can leave a tip with the Metro Denver Crime Stoppers tip line at: 720-913-7867. Tipsters can remain anonymous.



Source link

State police searching for trailer theft suspect; public assistance needed


HORSEHEADS, N.Y. (WETM) – New York State Police in Horseheads are searching for an individual and vehicle believed to be involved in the theft of a travel trailer, and are asking for public assistance in the search.

The theft took place on the evening hours of Oct. 23 on State Route 13, near the town of Veteran, N.Y.

The picture above shows possibly a GMC Sierra with no front bumper and a dark hood, the driver is also pictured in the photo.

The stolen travel trailer is a 2012 R-Vision Crossover Camper, color beige with brown decals. It is pictured below.

Anyone with information on this case is asked to call the State Police at 607-739-8797 or 585-398-4100.



Source link

Hampton police searching for suspect after woman shot while traveling in vehicle


HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — Hampton police are looking for a person who shot a woman while she was traveling in a vehicle Monday afternoon.

The woman’s injuries are not considered life-threatening, police said.

Police said the shooting happened Monday around 3:10 p.m. in the 4200 block of West Mercury Boulevard.

Click here to subscribe to WAVY Breaking News Email alerts.

Officers arrived on scene to find the woman who had been shot. She was taken to a local hospital.

The preliminary investigation by police indicates the woman was traveling in a car on West Mercury Boulevard when she was shot.

The motive and circumstances of the incident were still under investigation as of 4 p.m. and there was no suspect information at that time.

The eastbound side of West Mercury Boulevard from Whealton Road to Chestnut Avenue was closed for a period of time as police investigated the shooting.

Those with information should call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP or submit a tip using the P3 Tips app on their Apple or Android device or at www.p3Tips.com.

Get the free WAVY News App, available for download in the App Store and Google Play, to stay up to date with all your local news, weather and sports, live newscasts and other live events.





Source link

Suspect In South LA Fireworks Explosion Expected In Court Tuesday – CBS Los Angeles


LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) – A man suspected of trafficking thousands of pounds of illegal fireworks, which indirectly lead to a botched explosion in South Los Angeles back in June that wounded 17 people, is expected to be arraigned Tuesday on federal charges.

FILE — A car on its side flipped by the force of fireworks explosion on July 1, 2021, in Los Angeles, CA. (Irfan Khan/Los Angeles Times/Getty Images)

Twenty-seven-year-old Arturo Ceja III is slated to appear in U.S. District Court in downtown L.A. on charges of illegally transporting explosives without a license.

On June 30, thanks to a tip, Los Angeles police discovered about 32,000 pounds of illegal fireworks at Ceja’s home in the area East 27th and San Pedro streets.

The illegal fireworks included about 200 M-80 style explosives.

Several pounds of the illegal fireworks – which were deemed too dangerous to travel with — were placed in a specialized LAPD armored truck designed for controlled detonations. The detonation was conducted in the same neighborhood as Ceja’s home.

However, what was supposed to be a controlled detonation instead turned into a massive explosion. Ten LAPD officers, one ATF officer and six civilians were hurt. 13 businesses, 22 residential properties and 37 vehicles were either damaged or destroyed. Many residents are still unable to return to their homes.

RELATED: South LA Families Impacted By Fireworks Blast Rally Outside City Hall

Last month, LAPD Chief Michel Moore revealed that bomb squad technicians likely miscalculated the weight of the explosives that were placed in the truck. Moore revealed that, prior to the detonation, the bomb squad estimated that the total net weight of explosives placed in the truck was 16.5 pounds, when in fact it was over 42 pounds.

Meanwhile, according to federal prosecutors, Ceja had planned to sell the fireworks throughout the neighborhood in celebration of the Fourth of July holiday.

A federal complaint alleges that Ceja made several trips to Nevada in late June to purchase various types of explosives — including aerial displays and large homemade fireworks containing explosive materials — that he transported to his home in rental vans.

The L.A. City Council recently unanimously approved a motion to order a report from the department on the “failed operation” and how the public will be better protected in the future. The City Attorney’s Office was also instructed to ensure that people are properly compensated for property damage and injuries. The office has received 145 claims for money for damages, and 62 were still being processed as of July 28.

(© Copyright 2021 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. City News Service contributed to this report.)



Source link

GFPD investigating homicide-kidnapping; suspect deceased


The Great Falls Police Department is investigating a homicide and kidnapping Thursday morning that also left the suspect deceased.

According to a GFPD news release, officers responded at around 12:30 a.m. to a report of a domestic disturbance on the 3000 block of 6th St. N.E.

When they arrived, they discovered a deceased person and learned that a suspect had fled Cascade County with a hostage.

With the aid of other law enforcement agencies, GFPD pursued the suspect. The lengthy pursuit ended at around 6:20 a.m. outside of Cascade County. Officers recovered the hostage safely, and the suspect is deceased.

The release did not say if law enforcement killed the suspect, and GFPD is not providing any names at this time. Law enforcement is conducting separate investigations into the initial homicide and the suspect’s death, the release said.

Until further notice, GFPD has closed 6th St. N.E. from Sacajawea Drive to 32nd Ave. N.E. and Skyline Dr. N.E. at the intersection of Skyline Dr. N.E. and 6th St. N.E. They ask that anyone needing to travel through this area choose an alternate route.

Criminal justice reporter Traci Rosenbaum reports on law enforcement issues for the Tribune. Reach her at trosenbaum@greatfallstribune.com or 406-791-1490.

Follow her on Twitter @GFTrib_TRosenba.

Want to keep up on crime news in Great Falls and northcentral Montana and get access to exclusive content? Click here to subscribe.

Have a news tip for the Tribune? Click here.





Source link

Passenger Stabbed Aboard San Francisco Muni Bus; Suspect Sought – CBS San Francisco




Source link

2 Women Struck In San Francisco Cow Hollow Hit-&-Run, Suspect Sought – CBS San Francisco




Source link

Numerous Tips Pointed to Newly Named Suspect Francis Sumner – NBC Boston


Numerous tips over the past 21 years have led to a newly-named suspect in the 2000 murder of 16-year-old Molly Bish, according to the Worcester County District Attorney Joseph D. Early Jr.

Francis “Frank” P. Sumner Sr., a convicted rapist and kidnapper who died in 2016, was announced as a suspect Thursday.

Born in 1945, he was active in central Massachusetts from 1960 through 2016, prosecutors said. He was known to operate auto repair shops in the Spencer, Leicester and Worcester areas. He lived in Spencer prior to his death.

Investigators said they are still seeking tips from the public looking for information relative to Sumner’s employment practices/personnel, associates, vehicles, travel and any known habits.



Worcester County District Attorney’s Office

Photo of Frank Sumner released by the Worcester County District Attorney’s Office

Early told NBC10 Boston that Sumner is being considered a suspect in the case, though the initial news release from his office called him a person of interest.

“He has over a 20-page record, I think it’s about 25 pages,” Early said. “He’s served time for aggravated rape and kidnapping, he’s served time on probation violations, we know there were harassment orders with regards to the case that he was involved with before and violated and he’s got a long, long record.”

Molly’s sister, Heather Bish, told NBC10 Boston she did not know who Sumner was.

“I’m scared. I’m scared to hear about this person,” she said Thursday. “I learned so much about him in this short time.”

A person of interest has been identified in the years-old killing of Molly Bish, a teenager from Massachusetts whose death remains unsolved.

The district attorney’s announcement comes just weeks before the 21st anniversary of Molly’s disappearance from Comins Pond in Warren on June 27, 2000.

Molly lived in Warren and was working as a lifeguard at the pond. Her disappearance set off a massive search.

“I have all kinds of feelings,” Heather Bish said of the new development. “Most predominantly, I feel gratitude.”

“I have been asking for help for 20 years, for information – did somebody see or did somebody know something that happened to Molly and it’s been these brave people who’ve been coming forward and been giving police information that’s allowed this to really catapult itself upward and really bring this person to light,” she said.

Two decades after 16-year-old Molly Bish disappeared while working her lifeguard shift at Comins Pond in Warren, Massachusetts, her family held a vigil there.

Molly’s remains were found nearly three years after her disappearance in the woods of Whiskey Hill in nearby Palmer.

Through the years, Bish’s family never stopped looking for her killer, pleading for anyone who knew anything to come forward.

“We have walked in the valley of hell. You have created a fear that haunted my family. It must stop,” her mother, Magi Bish, wrote in a 2013 letter.

“We don’t know who did this to Molly,” Heather Bish said at the time. “It’s very, very scary.”

Magi Bish wrote a letter 13 years after her daughter’s death, making direct plea to her killer

Last year, on the 20th anniversary of her sister’s disappearance, Heather Bish said time had not healed her family’s wounds.

“Twenty is significant because of the year,” she said. “But for me, I live without my sister every day. I live trying to find a murderer every day.”

Anyone with information on Sumner or anything else related to the case is urged to call the anonymous tip line at 508-453-7575.



Source link

Who killed Molly Bish? Worcester district attorney names suspect


WORCESTER — A registered sex offender from Spencer who died in 2016 has been named a person of interest in the abduction and slaying of Warren lifeguard Molly Anne Bish in 2000.

Worcester District Attorney Joseph D. Early Jr. said Thursday that Francis P. Sumner Sr., a man with a more-than-20-page criminal record, is being eyed in the case after a tip led detectives from his unresolved case squad to look at Sumner.

Early said he is confident that the case is moving in the right direction.

“He was someone, I know, that state police had considered … as they continued going on they were able to corroborate and verify some information,” Early said. “He’s out in the area, he’s got an extensive criminal record, he did time for an aggravated rape and a kidnapping as well as a couple of other things.”

Early said Sumner’s record “speaks for itself.”

Records show Sumner was placed on the state’s sex offender registry as a Level 2 sex offender after being convicted in 1982 of aggravated rape.

Sumner, who remained a Level 2 sex offender until his death, was well known to area police, having been arrested in Spencer and Rutland several times, including several in which he was charged with violating harassment orders and made threatening phone calls.

Early said tips come into his office weekly from people hoping to help solve the Bish case, and every piece of information is reviewed. He said the unresolved case squad, named because John Bish, Molly’s father, urged Early to refrain from using the term “cold case,” works on the case frequently.

Who is Francis P. Sumner?

In the announcement, Early asked people to look at the photographs of Sumner and to call with any information about him, whether they believe it is related to the Bish case. They are seeking information about where he may have worked.

He was known to operate vehicle repair shops in Leicester, Spencer and the Worcester area, Early said. He was born in 1945, and lived and worked in Central Massachusetts. Investigators are looking for clues about his habits, vehicles he drove people he may have known and his travel.

An anonymous tip line, 508-453-7575, is open for anyone with information, Early said.  

Sumner, who was survived by two sons and two daughters, was found dead inside his Spencer home May 4, 2016. His obituary states that he had enlisted in the Massachusetts National Guard after graduating from South High School. He was the former owner of Sumner’s Auto Repair on Route 122 in an area known as Four Corners in Rutland.

In Rutland, news of the development reached police Detective Troy Chauvin, who had dealt with Sumner on several occasions.

“He ran a fly-by-night auto repair business in town and had cases of fraud filed against him,” Chauvin recalled.

Odd connection to Sumner

The detective also had an odd connection to Sumner.

“When I was a kid, I had a paper route and it was my neighbor who was the victim he raped,” Chauvin said, adding that he hopes Early’s office can find evidence to link Sumner to the Bish case and provide the family with some peace.

Spencer Police said Sumner was familiar to them as well. Chief David B. Darrin said state police have sought information about Sumner in the past and reviewed some of their records.

Heather Bish, in a social media post on Thursday, said several of her sister’s personal belongings were returned to her this week, just before the announcement about Sumner’s possible involvement in the case.

She videotaped the stack of photographs, a purse, cassette tapes and perfumes that detectives had held since she was abducted from Comins Pond in Warren on June 27, 2000, and talked about her younger sister.

Heather said her mother reacted to the photograph of Sumner with concern and said he resembled the man she saw sitting by the pond in a white car giving her a menacing look on the day before 16-year-old Molly disappeared.

Molly’s skeletal remains were found three years later, scattered along the side of Whiskey Hill about 5 miles from the pond and where the town lines of Ware, Palmer and Warren intersect. 

Heather said her family has been having mixed emotions, but she also feels confident in the new information.

“They have never named a person of interest,” she said. “I’m feeling, well, mostly I’m feeling grateful for the people who keep coming forward with all these tips. That’s the way to solve a case.”

Heather said she felt emotional seeing her sister’s belongings, but she also laughed thinking that, were she here today, Molly would likely still love her Bath & Body Works products and might still be listening to the same songs she enjoyed on the cassette tapes.

Close to resolving case

She also feels like she can breathe, knowing investigators are close to resolving the case. She said she misses her sister, whom she has not seen in “7,646 days.”

“I’ve been chasing a murderer for 21 years,” she said. “I’m a teacher. I just want to be a teacher … but I will never stop crusading for victims’ families.”

Early said he spoke with the Bish family and with former District Attorney John J. Conte, now 93, and told him of the development. He said Conte was grateful to hear the news.

The Bish family was also grateful, Early said, even though investigators still need to “connect more dots” in the case.

“But the thing they want, I can’t give them,” he said. “And that is Molly back.”



Source link

Francis Sumner Named Suspect – NBC Boston


Francis “Frank” P. Sumner Sr., a convicted rapist and kidnapper who died in 2016, has been named a suspect in the murder of Molly Bish, authorities announced Thursday.

Sumner is being investigated in the 2000 murder of the 16-year-old based on new information received recently by investigators, Worcester County District Attorney Joseph D. Early Jr. said.

Born in 1945, he was active in central Massachusetts from 1960 through 2016, prosecutors said. He was known to operate auto repair shops in the Spencer, Leicester and Worcester areas. He lived in Spencer prior to his death.

Investigators said they are still seeking tips from the public looking for information relative to Sumner’s employment practices/personnel, associates, vehicles, travel and any known habits.



Worcester County District Attorney’s Office

Photo of Frank Sumner released by the Worcester County District Attorney’s Office

Early told NBC10 Boston that Sumner is being considered a suspect in the case, though the initial news release from his office called him a person of interest.

“He has over a 20-page record, I think it’s about 25 pages,” Early said. “He’s served time for aggravated rape and kidnapping, he’s served time on probation violations, we know there were harassment orders with regards to the case that he was involved with before and violated and he’s got a long, long record.”

The district attorney’s announcement comes just weeks before the 21st anniversary of Molly’s disappearance from Comins Pond in Warren on June 27, 2000.

She lived in Warren and was working as a lifeguard at the pond. Her disappearance set off a massive search.

Two decades after 16-year-old Molly Bish disappeared while working her lifeguard shift at Comins Pond in Warren, Massachusetts, her family held a vigil there.

Molly’s remains were found nearly three years later in the woods of Whiskey Hill in nearby Palmer.

Through the years, Bish’s family never stopped looking for her killer, pleading for anyone who knew anything to come forward.

“We have walked in the valley of hell. You have created a fear that haunted my family. It must stop,” her mother, Magi Bish, wrote in a 2013 letter.

“We don’t know who did this to Molly,” her sister, Heather, said at the time. “It’s very, very scary.”

Magi Bish wrote a letter 13 years after her daughter’s death, making direct plea to her killer

Last year, on the 20th anniversary of her sister’s disappearance, Heather Bish said time had not healed her family’s wounds.

“Twenty is significant because of the year,” she said. “But for me, I live without my sister every day. I live trying to find a murderer every day.”

Anyone with information on Sumner or anything else related to the case is urged to call the anonymous tip line at 508-453-7575.



Source link