Santa Clara Shoe Store Ransacked in Late Night Smash-and-Grab Robbery – CBS San Francisco


SANTA CLARA (CBS SF) — Dozens of burglars smashed into the doors of a shoe store Sunday night and stole thousands of dollars worth of shoes in the latest smash-and-grab robbery in the Bay Area.

After retailers in San Francisco, Walnut Creek and the South Bay were overwhelmed by thieves on a tear earlier this month, the shoe store Fix Kicks was overtaken by 25-35 burglars Sunday night, according to reports.

READ MORE: Vietnam Airlines Launches First Non-Stop Service From SFO To Ho Chi Minh City

At some time late Sunday, dozens of burglars bore down on the shoe store, breaking the glass on the front windows and doors. It’s unclear how much merchandise was taken, but pairs of Air Jordans worth over $1,000 were reportedly among the items stolen.

Santa Clara police later confirmed that they received 9-1-1 calls just before 11:30 p.m. Sunday night regarding a large group of suspects burglarizing the store on the 2000 block of El Camino Real. Arriving Santa Clara police saw numerous vehicles fleeing in different directions as they arrived on scene.

Police also noted that five days earlier — on Nov. 23 at about 1:15 a.m. — the same business had been burglarized. During both burglaries, the suspects forced entry into the store. During the Nov. 23 incident, a group of about 15–30 suspects stole footwear and apparel. In that incident, the suspects also fled from the scene in multiple vehicles.

No injuries were reported in connection with the two burglaries. As of Monday afternoon, police said no suspects have been arrested.

READ MORE: Gov. Newsom Enlists California Highway Patrol To Help Stop Smash And Grab Robberies

“As in all crimes, the Santa Clara Police Department takes these incidents very seriously. We have several potential promising leads from the initial burglary and are actively investigating all leads,” Police Chief Pat Nikolai in a press release.

The two burglaries are currently under active investigation, so police said they were unable to comment further at this time.

Anthony Becker, a member of the Santa Clara City Council, released a statement decrying the burglary and demanded that something be done about “organized crime.”

“As a leader of this city, I’m gonna do everything in my power to work with the police department, my staff as well as other cities too because we’re all in this together, we’re all combating the same crime,” Becker told KPIX.

MORE NEWS: COVID: Omicron Variant Has Some Bay Area Families Revising Holiday Travel Plans

Anyone with information regarding the burglaries is encouraged to contact the Santa Clara Police Detective Adam Wilson at (408) 615-4818. Callers wishing to remain anonymous, may leave information on the SCPD Anonymous Tip Line at (408) 615-4TIP (4847).





Source link

Omicron Variant Has Some Bay Area Families Revising Holiday Travel Plans – CBS San Francisco


SAN FEANCISCO (KPIX) — Just as the Thanksgiving holiday wraps up, we are now hearing about a new coronavirus variant, Omicron.

At this point, the Omicron variant hasn’t been found here in the Bay Area but many in the medical field say it’s only a matter of time, most likely in the next couple of weeks.

READ MORE: Gilroy Teen Fails Driving Test Due To Tesla Regenerative Braking System

Frank and Teresa Muscat are visiting from Rhode Island.

“We have not seen the family and that’s the heartbreaking part,” says Teresa.

They were finally able to see family again this Thanksgiving but now they’re concerned about the new variant first detected in South Africa.

“When is this going to end. It seems like it keeps getting legs and continuing,” says Fred.

Researchers want to know how transmissible Omicron is, how sick it can make you and how well it holds up to vaccines.

READ MORE: Santa Clara Shoe Store Ransacked in Late Night Smash-and-Grab Robbery

Dr. George Rutherford, an UCSF Epidemiologist says, “We have a lot of work to do to figure out kind of where we are exactly and how this might tip the apple cart one way or the other.”

Dr. Rutherford says so far, there are signs that this variant may be more infectious than the Delta. As for scaling back your Christmas plans, he doesn’t advise that just yet.

“If they’re traveling to South Africa to go on a safari, yes, they should change their plans but short of that, I don’t think at this point in time, there’s not a lot of need to change their plans,” says Dr. Rutherford.

Still, some say they are concerned and are rethinking their family get togethers.

“I was planning on going up north visiting a bunch of family but it might just be a stay at home Christmas this year,” says Morgan Genelly of Marin.

MORE NEWS: COVID Omicron: Rush To Vaccinate In East Bay As New Variant Emerges

So far in South Africa, toddlers age two and under make up 10% of the hospitalizations, according to the National Institute of Communicable Diseases. The age group that are unable to be vaccinated.
And with just over 20% of South Africans vaccinated, Dr. Rutherford says it’s critical to send millions of doses to those countries to contain these variants.



Source link

Man Shot In The Stomach In West Baltimore Overnight – CBS Baltimore




Source link

Fox, Hield Lead Kings Over Lakers 141-137 In Triple OT – CBS Los Angeles


LOS ANGELES (AP) — De’Aaron Fox scored 34 points, Buddy Hield had 13 of his 25 after regulation and the Sacramento Kings beat the Los Angeles Lakers 141-137 in triple overtime Friday night.

In a game that saw 19 ties and 23 lead changes, the Lakers led 126-124 a minute into the third overtime when the Kings went on an 11-2 run to go up by seven with 1:54 remaining. Marvin Bagley III had five points during the spurt, including a three-point play to give Sacramento the lead.

READ MORE: LAPD Releases Video Of Officer Using Taser Gun On Man With Sword

Carmelo Anthony hit a 3-pointer with 9.4 seconds remaining to get the Lakers within a basket, but Hield sank a pair of free throws on the ensuing possession to put it away.

Tyrese Haliburton had 19 points for the Kings, who had seven players in double figures. They are 2-1 under interim coach Alvin Gentry.

The Lakers, who are 10-11 after dropping five of their last seven, had four players with at least 20 points with the first time this season. LeBron James led the way with 30 points, Russell Westbrook added 29, Anthony Davis 23 and Malik Monk 20.

The Lakers scored the first six points of the first overtime and were up 110-103 before the Kings scored seven straight, including Hield’s 3-pointer to tie it with 28 seconds remaining. Davis had a driving layup with 9.0 seconds remaining but Sacramento forced a second OT on Hield’s 18-foot jumper.

The largest lead anyone had in the second overtime was three points. James made a driving layup with 24 seconds remaining to tie it at 124. Sacramento had the final possession, but couldn’t get a shot off.

HOW WE GOT TO OVERTIME

Monk scored 11 points during a 24-8 second-half run that saw the Lakers turn a three-point deficit with 4 minutes to go in the third quarter into an 86-73 advantage with 10:02 remaining.

READ MORE: Black Friday: Another High-End Store Is Robbed, Prompting LAPD To Issue City-Wide Tactical Alert

The Kings would counter through with a 22-5 rally, including eight points from Alex Len, to seize a 98-93 advantage with 2:26 to go. Los Angeles, though, scored seven of the last nine points of regulation to send it to overtime.

After a layup by James gave the Lakers a 100-98 advantage, Fox tied it with a layup with 21 seconds to go. The Lakers had the final shot, but James missed a 3-pointer at the buzzer to send it to overtime.

TIP-INS

Kings: It was Fox’s second game this season with at least 30 points. He scored 37 on Nov. 10 at San Antonio. … Terence Davis had 13 points before fouling out in overtime. … Harrison Barnes (right foot sprain) and Richaun Holmes (right eye contusion) were out of the lineup.

Lakers: Anthony (16 points) was 6 of 13 from the field after going 7 of 27 the past two games. … This was Monk’s third game with at least 20 points since joining Los Angeles during the offseason. … Davis reached 800 career steals when he stripped the ball from Fox during the first overtime.

UP NEXT

Kings: Travel to Memphis Sunday.

Lakers: Host Detroit Sunday.

MORE NEWS: Group Of Men Steal Tools From Lakewood Home Depot

 (© Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)



Source link

Caldwell-Pope, Beal Help Wizards Beat Thunder, 101-99 – CBS Baltimore




Source link

Man Fatally Shot In San Francisco’s Civic Center Neighborhood – CBS San Francisco




Source link

Travel tips from CBS News’ Peter Greenberg


MADISON, Wis. — CBS News senior travel advisor Peter Greenberg joins Live at Four to talk about travel for the rest of the year.





Source link

Timeline Of Road Trip With Fiancé Brian Laundrie, Notable Dates And Events – CBS New York


NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – The search for Gabby Petito has apparently come to a tragic end. The FBI said they believe Petito’s body was found Sunday in Grand Teton National Park.

The 22-year-old Blue Point, N.Y. native went missing after going on a cross-country road trip with her fiancé, Brian Laundrie. He mysteriously returned to the home they shared in Florida in the van they were traveling in, but without Petito. Police have wanted to question Laundrie about Petito’s disappearance, but he declined – and then apparently disappeared himself.

READ MORE: Brian Laundrie Died Of Self-Inflicted Gunshot Wound, Family Attorney Says

Here are notable dates in the search for Petito:

LATE JUNE: According to North Port, Florida Police, Petito and Laundrie depart on a cross-country trip, planning to reach the West Coast, traveling in her White Ford Transit van. The two were documenting their trip on YouTube and social media. Throughout the trip, Petito maintained regular contact with her family, according to authorities.

WATCH: Police In Florida Provide Update On Missing Woman Gabby Petito

JULY:  According to her family and as documented in her Instagram account, Petito and Laundrie visit numerous national parks and locations, including:

  • July 10, Great Sand Dunes National Park
  • July 16, Zion National Park
  • July 20, Cedar Breaks
  • July 21, Bryce Canyon National Park
  • July 26, Mystic Hot Springs
  • July 28, Canyonlands National Park, Arch Mesa

AUGUST: The two continue their trip, with stops at Arches National Park.

August 12th is the same day Petito and Laundrie had an encounter with police in Moab, Utah.

READ MORE: NASA’s DART Mission To Make First-Ever Attempt To Defend Earth From Asteroids

Watch: Full Video Of Police Encounter Between Gabby Petito, Brian Laundrie and Moab, Utah Police 

A witness reported a physical altercation between the couple. Police stopped their van for a wellness check. The two told police they pushed and shoved one another outside a grocery store.

Petito scratched Laundrie, but told police they were in love and didn’t want to press charges. According to the police report, Laundrie told officers that traveling for the last four or five months created an “emotional strain between them.”

Police concluded it was not a “domestic assault,” but a “mental health crisis.”

SEPTEMBER:

  • Sept. 1: According to North Port, Florida police, Brian Laundrie returns to Florida in the van they shared without Gabby Petito.
  • Sept. 6-7: Brian Laundrie and his parents go camping. The family attorney says the campground was about a 75 miles north of their home, and they stayed overnight. The attorney says all three then left the park.
  • Sept. 11: Gabby Petito is reported missing by her family in Blue Point, N.Y. That same day, police in North Port, Florida locate the van they were traveling in.
  • Sept. 14: Gabby Petito’s parents continue their pleas for information on her whereabouts, and say Laundrie is not speaking with authorities. Police in Florida say Laundrie’s silence is hindering the investigation.

Many people are wondering why Mr. Laundrie would not make a statement or speak with law enforcement in the face of Ms. Petito’s absence. In my experience, intimate partners are often the first person law enforcement focuses their attention on in cases like this and the warning that ‘any statement made will be used against you’ is true, regardless of whether my client had anything to do with Ms. Petito’s disappearance. As such, on the advice of counsel Mr. Laundrie is not speaking on this matter.

I have been informed that the North Port, Florida police have named Brian Laundrie as a ‘person of interest’ in this matter. This formality has not really changed the circumstances of Mr. Laundrie being the focus and attention of law enforcement and Mr. Laundrie will continue to remain silent on the advice of counsel.

  • Sept. 16: Full body camera video of the encounter between Moab, Utah police, Petito, and Laundrie is obtained.
  • Sept. 17: North Port, Florida Police speak to Laundrie’s family at their request but do not speak to Brian. Later in the evening, Laundrie’s attorney releases a statement saying Laundrie’s current whereabouts are unknown and the FBI is looking for both Petito and Laundrie.
  • Sept. 18: Authorities search the 24,500-acre Carlton Reserve in Sarasota County for Laundrie after a tip from his family. The search is called off in the evening due to darkness. At the same time, multiple agencies search for Petito in the Wyoming wilderness.

OCTOBER

MORE NEWS: Woman Killed In Cranford House Fire, Neighbors Rescue 2 Others From Burning Home; ‘Bravery In Its Truest Form’

NOVEMBER





Source link

‘Let The Bosses Clean The Bathrooms’ – CBS Denver


DENVER (CBS4) – Hundreds of janitors at Denver International Airport walked out on the job Saturday morning. Members of the Service Employees International Union Local 105 says 350 employees are now on strike over working conditions.

The employees service the main terminals and concourses at the airport.

READ MORE: Monoclonal Antibody Treatment Expands In Colorado

The group and its contractor, Flagship Facility Services, failed to reach an agreement after months of negotiations. The group says Flagship Facility Services will not compromise on fair compensation and workloads.

The union calls the strike a “last resort” amid one of the busiest travel periods for the airport.

(credit: CBS)

“We keep this place running, we put ourselves at risk every day, and we deserve to be able to put food on the table for the holidays. This isn’t easy for any of us, but neither is working a second job just to pay the bills. We’d love to be able to spend Thanksgiving with our families, but we’re doing this to make our jobs better, our communities better, and this airport better for everyone who has to travel through here for the holidays,” said Luis Gonzalez, a janitor.

READ MORE: Pueblo-Based COVID-19 Vaccine Provider Suspended For Reported Misconduct

In video shared on social media on Saturday, employees are heard chanting “Let the bosses clean the bathrooms!”

In early October, workers agreed to go back to work with no deal agreed upon with the company following a brief strike in September.

(credit: CBS)

DIA released the following statement to CBS4 on Saturday:

We urge our contractor Flagship, and our janitors’ union to come to agreement quickly. We believe they can resolve their differences. In the meantime, we are working closely with Flagship to minimize any disruption in service and impacts to DEN and our passengers.

On Nov. 19, DIA said it expects more than two million passengers over the Thanksgiving holiday. They’re recommending passengers arrive at the airport at least two hours early.

MORE NEWS: Young Thornton Neighbor Hands Out Water To Neighbors & Firefighters At 3-Alarm Fire

A response from Flagship has not been provided.





Source link

Pack Your Patience As Holiday Travel Rush Officially Gets Underway – CBS Miami


MIAMI (CBSMiami) — If you’re traveling over the holiday weekend, airport officials have three words for you “get there early.”

According to AAA, airports across the country, including here in South Florida, will see near pre-pandemic levels of travelers.

READ MORE: FDA Authorizes COVID Vaccine Boosters For All Adults

AAA predicts more than 53 million Americans are expected to travel over the holiday weekend, pointing to a sharp rebound in Thanksgiving travel.

The busy holiday travel season kicks off Friday, November 19, and runs until the weekend after Thanksgiving.

At Miami International Airport, longs lines began to form as early 5:30 a.m. Friday, the first day of the expected holiday travel rush.

“This was a surprise, I think everybody is surprised for this long [line],” said Melanie Noreaga, traveling to Puerto Rico.

READ MORE: Miami-Dade Schools No Longer Mandating Masks, Parental Opt-Out Form Eliminated

Anxious passengers at MIA expressed confusion at the long lines, telling CBS4 News they were directed to go to TSA checkpoint three to check-in for all gates. At the time, two other available check-in points had not opened yet.

Travelers who arrived at least two hours early that were stuck in long lines before TSA opened additional screening areas, told CBS4 News they were nervous about getting to their flights on time despite their early arrival.

“We did, but it’s ridiculous,” said Ralph Hernandez, who was headed to Cancun. “It’s ridiculous because they have two other checkpoints that they are not using and they’re sending everybody here. It doesn’t make sense” added Hernandez.

Just before 6:30 am TSA officials at MIA opened up another checkpoint for general passengers for all gates, creating less congestion at checkpoint three.

Travelers that spoke to CBS4 News say prior to the opening of other TSA checkpoints, the lines they saw were the longest they’ve ever since while traveling.

MORE NEWS: CVS To Close 900 Stores Over The Next Three Years

“Yeah, I’ve never seen it like this before this is a first for me,” said Noreaga.



Source link