Men’s Basketball | 12/27/2020 7:08:00 PM
TV: BTN – Brandon Gaudin (Play-by-Play); Robbie Hummel (Analyst)
Tip Time: 7:01 p.m. CT
Radio: Learfield IMG College/100.3 FM
Mike Grimm (Play-by-Play); Spencer Tollackson (Analyst)
Sirius XM: 381
123rd Meeting (57-65 all time)
Home vs. MSU: 33-24
Minnesota vs. Big Ten: 775-854*
Richard Pitino vs. Big Ten: 54-86
* – excludes vacated games
• Minnesota is hosting its second-straight Big Ten Conference game in four days when the No. 12 Michigan State Spartans come to town. The Golden Gophers enter the contest 1-1 in league action, while MSU is at 0-2.
• Minnesota went 0-2 against Michigan State last year, including a 70-52 loss in the two team’s last meeting, Jan. 26, 2020. Daniel Oturu led the Gophers with 19 points and Gabe Kalscheur chipped in 15 points in the team’s first home conference loss of the season.
• The Golden Gophers are coming off an overtime victory against No. 4 Iowa Christmas night. Brandon Johnson made all four his 3-point attempts in overtime and finished with 26 points and nine rebounds. Marcus Carr had 30 points on 6-for-13 shooting from 3-point range and eight assists, and Liam Robbins added 18 points and four blocks for the Gophers. Trailing seven points with 44 seconds left in regulation, the Gophers outscored the Hawkeyes 29-15 the remainder of the game. It marked the second overtime win of the season. It was also the first win over a top 5 team since Dec. 15, 2019 when the Gophers defeated No. 3 Ohio State 84-71.
• On Friday, Minnesota topped 100 points in conference play for the second time in the last three league games for the first time in school history. Minnesota notched 107 against Nebraska to conclude the 2019-20 regular season. Prior to this streak, the last time the Gophers topped 100 points in a Big Ten game was also against Iowa on February 8, 2017 (101-89, 2 OT).
• Marcus Carr continues to rank high nationally and within the Big Ten. Carr averages 24.6 ppg, which ranks third nationally and second in the Big Ten. His 6.2 assists per game ranks first in the league and 24th nationally. He also averages 36.1 minutes played, which also tops the Big Ten and 39th nationally. Carr also averages 2.4 three-pointers per game, which is tied for third in the league.
SCOUTING THE SPARTANS
• The Michigan State Spartans enter Monday’s contest with a 6-2 record and 0-2 to start Big Ten play. MSU is coming off a pair of losses to Northwestern (79-65) and Wisconsin (85-760).
• The Spartans went 6-0 in nonconference play when they defeated Eastern Michigan (83-67), Notre Dame (80-70) at home, at Duke (75-69) and closed out nonconference with wins over Detroit Mercy (83-76), Western Michigan (79-61) and Oakland (109-91).
• Joey Hauser leads the team and averages 14.0 ppg and holds a team-best 8.6 rebounds per game. Aaron Henry averages 12.0 points per game, followed by Rocket Watts at 10.9 ppg. Henry also has 12 blocks and 14 steals this season.
• As a team, MSU averages 81.2 points per game and 8.9 three-pointers per game with a free-throw percentage at 76 percent.
RECORDS WERE MADE TO BE BROKEN
• In the win over Iowa, Minnesota either tied or set a variety of new school records. Brandon Johnson set a new school record for three-point field goal accuracy in a game (.889, 8-9) and tied a school record for three-pointers made in a game (fourth player to make 8 in a game).
• The Gophers attempted 43 three-pointers, which was seven more than the previous school record of 36. Minnesota made 17 three-pointers in the game, which was one shy of the school record 18 they made versus Nebraska on March 8, 2020.
• Marcus Carr’s 13 3-point FG attempts tied a school record for attempts in a Big Ten game (Blake Hoffarber vs. Penn State, 2/17/11).
CARR REACHES 1,000 CAREER POINTS
• In Friday’s win over Iowa, Marcus Carr established his 1,000th career point. The redshirt junior had 320 points in his 2017-18 year with Pittsburgh. During his time at Minnesota, Carr has scored 699 points, including 221 this year.
• He averages 14.2 points per game in his three-year collegiate career and has played in 72 career games.
• Minnesota is back in action on Dec. 31 when the Gophers travel to No. 9 Wisconsin.
• Tip off is set for 3:30 p.m., on BTN while KFAN 100.3 FM will carry the Gopher Radio Network broadcast in the Twin Cities.